Thursday, August 6, 2015

Make Your Own Healing A Priority

"Humility is taking child's pose, the resting pose, in the practice of yoga. It isn't an indignity. It's a necessity if you really want to grow. If you don't take small, organic steps, you can hurt yourself and set yourself back a thousand years. Taking a pose that isn't flashy, doesn't mean you're weak. It means you're patient and resolved. It means you respect the journey and yourself, and you trust you will arrive when it's your time to arrive."  Tama Kieves: Floundering Towards Grace 


A few years ago my life was so stressful that I developed heart palpitations. The Cardiologist told me that I must give up caffeine, chocolate, and alcohol.  I remember thinking,"oh great now what am I going to do to relax!”  (He didn’t mention shopping therapy but since my husband’s small business was going under, that was out too, yikes!)

 Friends suggested yoga.  It just so happened that a new yoga studio  opened nearby featuring a 4 week beginner class. The only concern I had when I signed up was the classes were in the evenings.  As anyMom knows, evenings are crazy, but I was desperate so I took the plunge.

Things were going smoothly, my husband was supportive and I really enjoyed the classes. I especially loved the philosophy of self forgiveness and acceptance. Then a crisis struck my husband had a severe leg injury which required surgery, rehab and someone to be his personal chauffeur for a few months. Normally, I would have dropped everything, become a martyr and savior. I thought that’s just what Mom’s do. I always sacrificed my well being thinking that I was helping everyone else. Wrong!!!

 Something had begun to shift in my subconscious. Instead, I said to my husband, "I will do anything for you but I cannot miss my yoga classes." Now that may seem insignificant to most of you, but for a me it was a revelation. I put my needs ahead of my families.

During this time I called a friend after taking a class. I was on such a “yoga high” that I said, “I think that my husband's injury was the best thing that’s happened to me! " How sad and wonderful that statement is. My entire adult life was about self sacrifice, not because anyone asked me to but because I thought that is what was required of me.

Aha moment: If I put my well-being as a priority everyone benefits.

Further down the road when bigger, life altering crises occurred and my life really seemed to be falling apart, the lessons of yoga have helped carry me through.

Aha moment :I can survive and actually flourish in crisis. Be the anchor for those around me, if I take the time to take care of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment