Thursday, November 5, 2015

Moment of Clarity

There are moments in time that you never forget. Some are wonderful memories that are treasured and some are heartbreaking moments that you want to wipe from your memory.. This one is of those hard to relive memories.

It  was a beautiful spring morning. My 16 year old daughter had just gone into rehab for the second time. I was sitting on the front lawn reading a book and trying to get my head together. My 10-year-old came outside and sat down next to me. She turned to me and said, " Mommy when I get older are you going to send me away too?" I wanted to cry I wanted to tell her that I would never do that. However,  I knew I had to be strong. I took a deep breath and said, "If necessary and because we love you, we will do whatever we need to do to save your life."

 I went on to reiterate how much we love her sister, why she was in rehab, and that because of our families predisposition to depression and substance abuse she was at risk. She hugged me and ran back inside. I sat on our front lawn and cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment