Monday, December 22, 2014

The Healing Power of Music


When my daughter was admitted to Caron for inpatient treatment, the only electronic device she was allowed to bring was a cd player.  For a teen used to having the constant distraction of texting, Facebook, the iPOD, etc. this caused quite an anxiety attack. Further, the music she was allowed to listen to was prescreened for "appropriate content." As we said goodbye she begged us to write and send cds. 

The first playlist I sent to her was called, "What's a Mom to do." It contained songs she requested, lullabies and other songs that related to the circumstances.

I also began to make playlists for myself and listening to them became an obsession. These playlists became a way to turn off the guilt and inner critic that was constantly assaulting me.  As I began to study yoga, meditation, and addiction I realized that listening to my playlists became a way to practice moving meditation and mindfulness.

Now, when I am in crisis, feeling down, or I can't turn off that evil voice in my head I take a deep breadth, grab my IPOD and go for a walk to escape the madness.

The song that became my impetus to open up, share my story and enter the world of Twitter, Facebook and blogging is by a performer I discovered when she opened for a concert I was attending  YouTube - Out Loud - Mindy Smith - Long Island Shores 

The 2 opening sentences in particular resonated with me.

Hey friend why do we always hide? 
It's no wonder that we're sinking down.
Why should we stand in lonely shadows, 
when there’s so much light around?

We are all interconnected. If sharing my story can help one family not feel the pain and isolation that comes with their child's struggle, then it is all worth it.  If I can help them find the "angels" sooner, limiting the trauma, pain, suffering and isolation that addiction/codependency brings, then it's worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment